Wednesday, November 7, 2012

big easy express

The baby sitter arrived and we set out for a rare Sunday afternoon by ourselves. We'd planned this day before everything happened and now it seemed even more important to get out of the house for a bit. Windows down to let the cool wind whip around us. It felt beautiful as we drove along.
We had tickets for a screening of Big Easy Express at the Texas Theater. It's a wonderful old theater in kinda a funky part of town. The music in the film was such a wonderful distraction from our heavy hearts. I couldn't keep my foot from tapping as the bands played together on this wild train ride across country. Edward Sharpe, Mumford & Sons, and Old Crow - quite the rag tag caravan of folks and they were awesome. Real music, real songs, and adventurous spirit. I escaped in my mind and traveled along, dreaming of "running away with the band," just like I did years ago watching Almost Famous. Even when I'm down and in the worst of times I can be pulled up through music. At least for a little while. The film is really great and you should totally see it if you can. Maybe you'll want to run away with the band along with me!


/// In these bodies we will live. In these bodies we will die. ///
Where you invest your love, you invest your life. - mumford + sons

3 comments:

  1. I was so jealous when I saw this!! So awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very sorry to hear of your mother in law's death. I imagine this is a mighty painful season for you all. Hope you can find joy this Xmas. Thank goodness for children at times like these. If you have a free evening, bundle up your little one and take a family drive around Highland Park and University Park. Bring some hot chocolate and turn on some good music. The Christmas lights are like nothing I have ever seen. You may find some of streets w/ the best lights by looking on line. You can even hire a horse drawn carriage to take a tour of them. We have had fun piling our boys in the car and seeing the lights. This is one of those only in Dallas things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm dying to see this. Old Crow played at Double Decker Arts Festival in Oxford after they got off the train in New Orleans... and they headed up to Mississippi and ever since I've wanted to see the film from their trip!

    ReplyDelete