Thursday, March 3, 2011

up there

The paint is chipping away, but you can still find remnants of hand painted advertising on buildings around town. I actually love how the colors are faded and rustic looking.
IMG_6504
{this is one of my favorite buildings in Greenville}
Now advertisers use printed vinyl adhered to buildings, but can you imagine painting something of this scale by hand?! There's this beautiful short documentary, Up There, about the few painters struggling to keep it alive. Love it. In places like New York there are companies still wiling to pay for their artistry. And I think I've got to start drinking more Stella beer since they seem to be one of its largest supporters!
IMG_6507


UP THERE from Jon on Vimeo.

1 comment:

  1. So neat. There are a few faded signs in my hometown--- I hope they never paint over them!

    ReplyDelete