Wednesday, September 22, 2010

aunt harriet's cornbread

I don't actually have an aunt Harriet, but no matter. This is the best cornbread I've ever put in my mouth. Buttery and moist like you will not believe. Make it for friends and they will keep on coming back. I fixed a leftover piece for breakfast - toasted with honey. Get back! Enough already… I hereby share with you pure & utter goodness.

Aunt Harriet's Cornbread (from Julia Reed)
1/2 cup  vegetable oil
1 - 8oz can of cream corn
1 cup corn meal
1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs (whisked)

Mix it all up and bake at 350 for about 45 min (careful not to overcook)
{put a dab o' oil in your skillet so there's no stickin'}
IMG_3150

2 comments:

  1. that sounds heavenly and might be on my dinner table tonight with some kind of yummy fall soup-- even if it is still in the 90's here in Mississippi

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds wonderful! i love cornbread that's not sweet!

    PS - my mom's name is Harriet! I'm sure she'd be happy to be your pretend aunt :)

    ReplyDelete