Monday, April 26, 2010

weekend at home

Sometimes it's just nice to stay put. And that's exactly what we did. We slept in, made sweet rolls and just did things around the house. Ahhh… no plans, no schedules, and no work. Yes, it was lovely. I did drag hubs to the dreaded Babies R Us, but it was quick and painless. I had a small list so we were in and out except for one section. Bottles. We stood staring at the endless wall of options. I swear there were hundreds. We're smart people. Surely we could figure this out. But, what brand, what size, what do the numbers mean? It was like a code we couldn't crack. Sigh. Back to the drawing board. I needed to do more research. By now, it was pouring down rain and the wind was howling around us and our enormous sack of goods. Time to hurry home and put my feet on up and relax. I love napping when it's raining. The cool air blowing in. We made one of our favorite meals, Tuscan Chickpea Soup and watched Crazy Heart. Oh my goodness, if you haven't seen this you gotta rent it. Jeff Bridges is outstanding and the music… well, let's just say I've already downloaded the soundtrack. Love, love, love the music.

Since my baby shower last weekend, I had haphazardly thrown everything into the crib. Fine for a few days, but it was starting to drive me crazy. So Sunday was the day. I washed all the little blankets and onesies and burp cloths. Hung them on miniature hangers and sorted through all the gear. The nursery is sort of still in disarray, but at least there is progress. And happy day… one of my first baby purchases arrived. A cute sling to hold the bambino by polkadot papoose. Isn't it just adorable? The fabric is by Anna Maria Horner (a nashville gal) and I think her work is so cool. To be honest I have no idea how to use it. I imagine trying it out with a stuffed animal isn't quite like the real thing. Hopefully baby will show me the ropes!

IMG_0586

6 comments:

  1. I love that fabric!
    How is Bound South? I want to read it.
    Bottles - I used Dr. Brown's with Kate. She had bad reflux and I had heard they helped with that. Well, I'm pretty sure they didn't, the reflux was still awful until about 5 months. Also, they have so many parts that they are just sort of a pain to wash - especially if you're traveling and are somewhere without a dishwasher. Rainer doesn't have bad reflux but she does spit up a lot and the DB didn't seem to make it any better. Out of convenience I decided to try Playtex Drop-Ins and I am hooked. Quite un-green of me, I must admit, but they are so easy b/c you throw the insert away and only have to wash the nipple and rinse the "holder." They'll be great for when we're in the mountains this July w/o a dishwasher or at the beach house with our 23 cousins and not wanting to monopolize the dishwasher. Also, her spit-up has decreased since I started using them. Maybe coincidence, maybe not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a good quick read. My friend Andrea borrowed it and instead of sending back to me is just going to mail to you :)

    Thanks for all the bottle info - there really should be like a chart next to the display!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that fabric! Oh how I miss nesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like we are on the same page--- baby showers, Babies R Us, trying to relax, movie time, etc.

    I finished my nursery today! Everything is finished, sewn, washed, cleaned, hung up, etc. Waiting on the little one to arrive now! 4 weeks or less!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like the perfect day, and you just reminded me...I need to rent Crazy Heart this weekend. The rare type of movie both my husband and I can agree on! Don't worry about the bottle thing...there really is no wrong choice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We rented Crazy Heart this weekend too! Loved it! Your weekend sounded very much like ours...except add a crazy baby to the mix. Enjoy those quiet days and nights while you can! :) We started with the Medela bottles and then moved onto the Dr. Browns-Keller was super gassy. I'm not sure there was much of a difference...except the Medela were so easy to clean vs. Dr. Brown! Start easy...and if the sweet baby needs a special bottle give Dr. Browns a try! We are always here for a quick Babies R Us trip with you!!

    ReplyDelete