Thursday, March 4, 2010

blueberry muffins

I love to do a bit of baking. All the puffy flour and measuring and sweetness. So fun. I put on my apron and baked up some muffins for breakfast. I don't know how people skip this all important meal, but I wake up with a growling tummy. In an effort to get my hubs off to a good start I've been making his morning meal. Aren't I just the best wife ever? Ha! Eggs and bacon, biscuits and honey or muffins seems to be the easiest so far. These muffins are super quick and I had all the ingredients in the fridge which is a huge plus. I went a little overboard on the blueberries, but I figure that means I can have more than one since they're healthy. Hmm, maybe I should have another for a snack. I'm rather smitten with them actually.

IMG_9851
You may notice the random number of muffins here… they're going quick!

blueberry + oatmeal muffins
1-1/2 cup oatmeal (quick cooking oats)
1/2 cup flour + 1/2 cup wheat flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 applesauce
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 egg

1-1/2 cup fresh blueberries

Mix all ingredients (except berries) together until just combined. Then fold in blueberries. Fill baking cups with mixture and bake @ 425 for about 20 minutes. I'm no chef, but since this recipe is pretty basic I think you can substitute here at will. Whatever berries you have or use oil instead of applesauce. Next time I may put a little lemon zest in, just because.

1 comment: